Below are articles about our community that have appeared in media outlets. They are compiled here for ease of reference.
- Trump Admin. Sends Baptist Man in Need of Special Medical Treatment Back to Congo; Pastor Calls Deportation 'Evil' (Christian Post; Feb. 26, 2018)
Note: Refers to the Democratic Republic of Congo instead of the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville), as of Feb. 27, 2018.
- Pastor says fight for deported Baptist church member will continue (Baptist News Global; Feb. 26, 2018)
- Member of U.S. Baptist church deported to the Republic of Congo (Baptist News Global; Feb. 24, 2018)
- ICE arrested him. His church put his photo in a pew so no one would forget. (CNN; Feb. 23, 2018)
- After appeals for mercy fail, Cary man is sent back to his native Congo (News & Observer; Feb. 23, 2018)
- Video of Prayer Vigil in front of the Atlanta City Detention Center (Feb. 21, 2018)
- Cary church member faces possible deportation (ABC11; Feb. 20, 2018)
Note: Refers to Gilles Bikindou living in the United States "illegally" since losing his asylum appeal in 2010. This is incorrect, as even ICE states in this article that "[Mr. Bikindou] was released from custody on an order of supervision June 28, 2010, which remained in effect until his most recent arrest Jan. 9."
- N.C. church appeals for its member scheduled for deportation this Friday (Baptist News Global; Feb. 20, 2018)
- Deportation Set for Cary Church Member with Life-Threatening Medical Condition (INDY Week; Feb. 19, 2018)
- Amid detentions and deportation, sanctuary movement persists (Christian Century; Feb. 6, 2018)
- Congress Needs to Hold ICE Accountable for Abuses (ACLU; Feb. 2, 2018)
Note: Greenwood Forest is not mentioned by name here, but the candlelight vigil referred to in the article is in reference to our action outside the Charlotte ICE office.
- The refugee story is the American story (Campbell Times; Feb. 1, 2018)
- Baptists protest deportation of church member outside ICE office where he was detained (Baptist News Global; Jan. 29, 2018)
- Making America whiter, an immigrant at a time (Charlotte Post; Jan. 27, 2018)
- Part 1 and Part 2 of the Prayer Vigil at the Charlotte ICE Office (Jan. 24, 2018)
- The day life changed for a legal immigrant -- and his church (Editorial by Rev. Lauren Efird) (Baptist News Global; Jan. 18, 2018)
- Jesus, Martin, and Gilles (North Carolina Council of Churches; Jan. 17, 2018)
- NC church is asking ICE to release member who unexpectedly faces deportation (News & Observer; Jan. 16, 2018)
- Church Asks ICE to Release Member Facing Deportation (US News & World Report; Jan. 12, 2018)
- Cary church fighting to stop deportation of member with 'life-threatening' medical condition (WRAL; Jan. 12, 2018)
- Baptist church fighting deportation of member with dire health conditions (Baptist News Global; Jan. 11, 2018)
- Cary church fights potential deportation of legal immigrant (ABC11; Jan. 11, 2018)
- Press Conference for Gilles Bikindou (Jan. 11, 2018)
- With or without us: The Church and the growing protest movement (Editorial by Rev. Wesley Spears-Newsome) (Baptist News Global; Feb. 7, 2017)
- We know, but sometimes we wonder (Editorial by Rev. Wesley Spears-Newsome) (Baptist News Global; Jan. 10, 2017)
- Cary pastors: Former NAACP leader Dolezal will bring 'sensationalized presence' (Editorial signed on to by Rev. Lauren Efird and Rev. Stephen Stacks) (News & Observer; Oct. 16, 2016)
- Finding Their Own Voices (Cary Magazine; Aug. 16, 2016)