Advent and Christmas are very special seasons at Greenwood Forest where we look forward to the return of Christ and celebrate the first coming of Jesus in the Nativity. We sing carols, build wreaths, enjoy good food, and welcome Christmas Eve by candlelight. We would love for you to join us!
Greenwood Forest is an inclusive community of faith, meaning that we welcome, affirm, and include everyone inclusive of their genders, sexualities, races, ethnicities, ages, abilities, and background at all levels of participation and leadership. You're welcome to celebrate the holidays (and every Sunday!) with us, especially if you have not found that welcome and affirmation elsewhere. We would love to meet you!
Advent and Christmas Events and Services:
- Hanging of the Green (November 24, 11:00am): At the Hanging of the Green service, we formally adorn the sanctuary for the Advent and Christmas seasons accompanied by traditional songs and readings.
- "Souper" Love Feast (November 24, 5:30pm): The evening following the Hanging of the Green service, we have a special wreath-making event where we prepare for Advent together. Participants bring a soup to share, we build Advent wreaths, sing and pray together, and enjoy delicious cinnamon buns! This event is hosted by the Children's Ministry and is especially welcoming to the whole family.
- Community Sunday (December 8, 11:00am): On the Second Sunday of Advent, we're hosting a special Community Sunday where church members are encouraged to invite their friends to church and we make the service especially visitor-friendly. If it's your first time, this is always a great Sunday to come visit!
- Service of Lament (December 18, 6:00pm): The holidays are often a time of joy and celebration, but they can be particularly difficult after experiencing a great loss in your life. We set aside a special time in December to grieve those with whom we don't get the celebrate any longer.
- Service of Lessons & Carols (December 22, 11:00am): The Service of Lessons & Carols is when you'll hear all the traditional readings (lessons) and carols associated with Christmas for the first time! We'll read the Christmas stories and sing plenty of classic Christmas music together.
- Children's Christmas Eve Service (December 24, 11:00am): We know that it's not always easy to bring the whole family to a candlelight service, so there's an especially child-centric Children's Christmas Eve Service earlier in the day. We sing some great Christmas songs and put together a Nativity for the children to come look at and explore.
- Candlelight Christmas Eve Service (December 24, 8:00pm): Come hear the Christmas story and sing songs by candlelight in the beautifully-decorated sanctuary on Christmas Eve! We share in communion on this special night, as well.
- Sundays of Christmas and Epiphany (December 29 and January 5, 11:00am): The Christmas celebration continues after the 25th! We'll have a Sunday service celebrating the Christmas season on December 29 and commemoration of the visit of the magi (known as Epiphany) on January 5.